Press Officer Gregston Van Pukeston’s latest interview with Olympic silver medalist, vegan athlete, animal activist and NAALPO Supporter Dotsie Bausch.
Dotsie is a 2012 London Olympic Games 8-time U.S. National Champion, former world record holder and two-time Pan American gold medal winner. She has transitioned in full stride from professional athlete to influential advocate and a leading voice in sports technology, health, wellness and animal rights. In fact, Choose Veg recently named Bausch one of the “20 Badass Veg Women Who Are Making History.”
After spending 10 years as a member of the U.S. National Road Cycling Team, Bausch tried track cycling for the first time in 2007 and surprised by winning two national titles on the track that same year. Her success on the track continued as she was part of a world record-breaking ride along the way. In 2012, Bausch realized her dream of becoming an Olympian by competing on the track at the London Games where she won a silver medal in the team pursuit, a first for the United States.
For more information on Dotsie Bausch, visit www.dotsiebausch.com
NAALPO has the pleasure once again to interview Dotstie Bausch!
GVP- Can you tell us What your newest project, Switch4Gd is, and what other campaigns you have been working on?
DB- Things here at Switch4Good have been booming along. I am happy to give you a 411 on what my non-profit is about and what our latest work is…..Switch4Good is a non-profit organization made up of a strong and growing coalition of dairy-free athletes, trainers, doctors, nutritionists and influencers. Some of us have won Olympic medals and some of us simply take the stairs instead of the elevator and we all know that cow’s milk is not a health food, it is simply a marketing campaign and its making many Americans sick. Over 65% of the world population can not digest cow’s milk and some think their stomach bloating, cramping, diarrhea or constipation is from lactose intolerance, and they would be right. We are all born milk drinkers. Babies’ guts produce the enzyme lactase, which breaks down lactose, the sugar in human breast milk (and cow’s milk), into the simpler sugars glucose and galactose. But for the majority of humans, production of the enzyme lactase plummets after weaning off the boob of our own mother, so we can not digest another mammals mother’s milk past about the age of 5. Nature intended it this way.
So why are young people, teenagers and adults drinking the mother’s milk of another species? Because the dairy industry told us to. As athletes, we are tired of being used in dairy funded commercials and marketing campaigns that promote milk consumption because we know that drinking cow’s milk is not what makes us champions. It is time that we pull back the curtain to expose the truth behind the dairy industry’s deceptive marketing campaigns. We are standing strong for the truth and are sharing the message that ditching dairy is a straight path towards living a longer, more fulfilling life.
Switch4Good launched one year ago when we placed an anti-dairy commercial featuring 6 Dairy-Free Olympians on the closing ceremonies of the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games on NBC. The commercial was directed by Academy Award winning director, Louie Psihoyos. Since the commercial aired last February, we have been hard at work. Here are just few key campaigns we are running now:
- 1. We shared our “Dairy Talks” Season 1 series (https://switch4good.org/dairy-talks-athlete-video-series/ <https://switch4good.org/dairy-talks-athlete-video-series/>) with the public and over 450,000 people have watched this first season to learn the dangers of drinking cow’s milk. “Dairy Talks” season 2 launches March 1st.
- 2. In the past 4 months we have also launched the “Undeniable Truth Tour-Champion Stories. Backed by Science. The Truth About Dairy Revealed.” These tour stops are filled with education, inspiration and camaraderie, featuring elite athletes and physicians. Our Truth Tour stops last year were in Boulder, CO and Minneapolis, MN and we are targeting 8 more cities in 2019!
- 3. The Switch4Good podcast launches on Valentines day! Go subscribe on itunes! It is hosted by Alexandra Paul (a long time activist) and myself.
- 4. What’s Wrong with Dairy? In multiple studies, the consumption of dairy has been linked to severe allergies, bone loss, Asthma, Type 2 Diabetes, prostate and breast cancers and an increased risk of heart disease. Not cool! We take dairy studies and our team of scientists dismantles their methodologies and we churn out original content to share dairy’s deceptive ways.
Here are some great reads:
- 1. https://switch4good.org/the-truth-behind-chocolate-milk-athlete-studies/ <https://switch4good.org/the-truth-behind-chocolate-milk-athlete-studies/>
- 2. https://switch4good.org/athletes-are-not-built-by-chocolate-milk/ <https://switch4good.org/athletes-are-not-built-by-chocolate-milk/
- 3. https://switch4good.org/dairy-industry-funds-study-to-promote-cows-milk-and-cereal/ https://switch4good.org/dairy-industry-funds-study-to-promote-cows-milk-and-cereal/
- 4. https://switch4good.org/are-certain-proteins-better-than-others/ https://switch4good.org/are-certain-proteins-better-than-others/
Find us at Switch4Good.org <http://switch4good.org/> and on socialmedia @switch4good
Gregston Van Pukeston- Press Officer/Journalist/ Drummer/Musician